Montag, 18. Januar 2016

(Planned) Progress on my Brunswick

Welcome 2016, and welcome Historical Sew Monthly 2016! ... which I - again - don't attend, because I know I that university stuff will cut my sewing too much to get anthing done in time.
Anyway, I do have a garment to sew that'd be appropriate for ... every single one of the first six challenges! And that is...


The Brunswick!


And here I explain why:

  • January –  Procrastination – finish a garment you have been putting off finishing (a UFO or PHD) or make something you have been avoiding starting.
 I've been planning and sewing my lovely Brunswick for about three years. I always find excuses for not sewing on.
  • February – Tucks & Pleating – make a garment that features tucks and pleating for the shape or decoration
 It's basic shape is a Pet-en-l'air with a french pleated back and it has also lots of pleats on other places for fit. Some I have to add to make it fit for my figure.
  • March – Protection – make something to protect yourself (from weather or injury) or your clothes (from soiling etc.)
 The 18th century Brunswick was an outer garment for travel. It's signiture feature is the hood and what item is more protective than a hodd?
  • April – Gender-Bender – make an item for the opposite gender, or make an item with elements inspired by the fashions of the opposite gender
 A Brunswick usually features long sleeves and a buttoned waistcoat - surely these ideas are inspired by men's wear.
  • May – Holes – sometimes the spaces between stuff are what makes a garment special.  Make a garment that is about holes, whether it is lace, slashing, eyelets, etc.
 A buttoned waistcoat requires buttonholes. Which are, well, holes.
  • June – Travel – make a garment for travelling, or inspired by travel.
 As mentioned before, the Brunswick was a travel garment. Enough said.


So... isn't that great? If I attended the HSM16 I'd have half a year to finish the Brunswick :D Nevertheless I do try to finish it earlier (as I did try several times before *coughs*)! Well, we'll see.
I made some main alterations on the fit past weekend. For example, lowered the waistline by a couple of centimeters. That was a big step forward because now I can continue with the other bits that have to be done. Still a problem: The waistcoat needs some lining. And maybe an overall modification. I am not too happy with how it looks at the moment. Well... we'll se ;-)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen